A 14,500-square-foot expansion is taking place at the Oregon City Public Library’s 102-year-old building.
P&C Construction began work in August on an expansion to the Oregon City Public Library’s 102-year-old building. The $10.5 million project will add 14,500 square feet to the existing 6,000-square-foot structure, which was completed in 1913 using construction grants from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.
The addition was designed by Scott | Edwards Architecture to preserve the look of the original building and diminish the loss of open space at the surrounding Carnegie Park. Part of an exterior masonry wall on the original library building has been opened to become a transition to the addition, and will remain in place in the interior atrium space connecting the buildings.
The concrete masonry unit installation of the project is complete, and crews are approximately 75 percent finished with structural steel work. Upon completion of the expansion, the library will vacate the old space for renovation work, which will include some seismic retrofitting, installation of new mechanical systems, and updates of floors and finishes. The project is slated for substantial completion in September 2016.
Title: Photos: Oregon City library expansion under way
Date: December 31st, 2015
Author: Sam Tenney
Publication: Daily Journal of Commerce